Your Image
Lesson 44
第44课
Speed and comfort
速度和舒适度
Which type of transport does the writer prefer, do you think?
你认为作者更喜欢哪种交通工具?
People travelling long distances frequently have to decide whether they would prefer to go by land, sea, or air.
长途旅行的人经常不得不决定他们是否愿意通过陆地,海上或空中去。
Hardly anyone can positively enjoy sitting in a train for more than a few hours.
几乎没有人能积极享受坐在火车上超过几个小时。
Train compartments soon get cramped and stuffy.
火车车厢很快就会变得拥挤和闷热.
It is almost impossible to take your mind off the journey.
这几乎是不可能把你的心离开旅程。
Reading is only a partial solution, for the monotonous rhythm of the wheels clicking on the rails soon lull you to sleep.
阅读只是一个部分的解决方案,因为车轮点击轨道的单调节奏很快就会让你入睡。
During the day, sleep comes in snatches.
白天,睡眠很快就会到来。
At night, when you really wish to go to sleep, you rarely manage to do so.
到了晚上,当你真的想去睡觉,你很少设法这样做。
If you are lucky enough to get a sleeper,
如果你幸运地得到一个卧铺,
you spend half the night staring at the small blue light in the ceiling, or fumbling to find your ticket for inspection.
你花了半个晚上盯着天花板上的小蓝灯,或者摸索着找到你的票进行检查。
Inevitably you arrive at your destination almost exhausted.
不可避免地,你到达目的地几乎筋疲力尽。
Long car journeys are even less pleasant, for it is quite impossible even to read.
长途汽车旅行甚至不那么令人愉快,因为即使阅读也是不可能的。
On motorways you can, at least, travel fairly safely at high speeds,
在高速公路上,你至少可以在高速行驶时相当安全,
but more often than not, the greater part of the journey is spent on roads with few service stations and too much traffic.
但通常情况下,大部分的旅程都花在服务站很少、交通太多的道路上。
By comparison, ferry trips or cruises offer a great variety of civilized comforts.
相比之下,渡轮旅行或游轮提供了各种各样的文明舒适。
You can stretch your legs on the spacious decks, play games,
您可以在宽敞的甲板上伸展双腿,玩游戏,
meet interesting people and enjoy good food--always assuming, of course, that the sea is calm.
满足有趣的人,享受美食-总是假设,当然,大海是平静的。
If it is not, and you are likely to get seasick, no form of transport could be worse.
如果不是,而且你很可能晕船,任何形式的交通工具都不会更糟。
Even if you travel in ideal weather, sea journeys take a long time.
即使您在理想的天气下旅行,海上旅行也需要很长时间。
Relatively few people are prepared to sacrifice holidays time for the pleasure of travelling by sea.
相对较少的人愿意牺牲假期时间来享受海上旅行的乐趣。
Aeroplanes have the reputation of being dangerous and even hardened travellers are intimidated by them.
飞机有危险的声誉,即使是硬化的旅行者也会被它们吓倒。
They also have the disadvantage of being an expensive form of transport.
它们还具有作为昂贵的运输形式的缺点。
But nothing can match them for speed and comfort.
但没有什么能比得上他们的速度和舒适度。
Travelling at a height of 30, 000 feet, far above the clouds,
在30,000英尺的高度旅行,远在云层之上,
and at over 500 miles an hour is an exhilarating experience.
时速超过500英里是一个令人振奋的经历。
You do not have to devise ways of taking your mind off the journey,
你不必想方设法把你的注意力从旅途中移开,
for an aeroplane gets you to your destination rapidly.
因为飞机能让你迅速到达目的地.
For a few hours, you settle back in a deep armchair to enjoy the flight.
几个小时后,您可以在深扶手椅上安顿下来,享受飞行。
The real escapist can watch a film and sip champagne on some services.
真正的逃避现实的人可以在一些服务上看电影和啜饮香槟。
But even when such refinements are not available, there is plenty to keep you occupied.
但即使没有这样的改进,也有很多东西可以让你忙得不可开交。
An aeroplane offers you an unusual and breathtaking view of the world.
一架飞机为您提供了一个不寻常的和令人惊叹的世界景观。
You soar effortlessly over high mountains and deep valleys.
你毫不费力地飞越高山和深谷.
You really see the shape of the land.
你真的看到了土地的形状。
If the landscape is hidden from view,
如果景观从视图中隐藏,
you can enjoy the extraordinary sight of unbroken cloud plains that stretch out for miles before you,
你可以欣赏到绵延数英里的云层平原的非凡景象,
while the sun shines brilliantly in a clear sky.
当太阳在晴朗的天空中闪耀时.
The journey is so smooth that there is nothing to prevent you from reading or sleeping.
旅程是如此顺利,没有什么可以阻止你阅读或睡觉。
However you decide to spend your time,
不管你决定把时间花在哪里,
one thing is certain: you will arrive at your destination fresh and uncrumpled.
有一件事是肯定的:你会到达你的目的地新鲜和未损坏。
You will not have to spend the next few days recovering from a long and arduous journey.
接下来的几天里,你将不必从漫长而艰苦的旅程中恢复过来。